Friday, September 3, 2010

Delete.

I hate the word "super", and I'm going to make a conscious effort not to say it.

Recently I heard someone use it a few too many times in a conversation, well truthfully it was an argument, and she sounded so stupid. I listened to her go on and on, and suddenly I saw her for exactly what she was, a ditz, a "valley girl" so to speak, a lower-middle class nobody. "I am SUPER mad at you." "I think you are SUPER rude." "I am so SUPER pissed right now." (As if the "super" wasn't emphatic enough, she had to add the "so".) Couldn't she think of another word? She could have used any number of other words in place of super, or even omitted it entirely and still have gotten her point across.

It became clear to me that in her life had she shown more interest in intellectual development, and personal accomplishment, and put less emphasis on personal appearance, and social status she might have gotten more out of the private school education that her dad had practically sold his soul to pay for.

A Punahou education wasted, and a perfectly good word ruined.

No comments:

Post a Comment