Monday, June 17, 2013

Old News for an Old Friend

Aha! Now I remember. Islandmouse, that's right. But was it hotmail? I thought it was eudoramail. Shit! I can't remember the password anyway. And now I think I know where I went. Do you know that was almost 10 years ago? 

The mess I had myself in was pretty bad. My home life was changing. I think this was the year my dad went to prison. My mom and I moved in with my grandparents. And then my grandparents decided to move back to Utah. So my mom and my little brother moved into a one bedroom apartment. And I, on a whim, quit school and moved to Maui with an asshole. He was 16 years my senior. Very controlling, and jealous, and possessive, and manipulative. He had a drinking problem and a gambling problem. He was always sleeping with someone from his job. I was a kid. I was stupid. I always thought it was my fault. 

One night I caught him in another lie. I told him before I went to bed that we were finished. When I woke up the next morning I asked him if he remembered what I'd said the night before. He did. I packed up my stuff and never went back. I slept in my car for a week, I went to work, I bathed at the beach or at the gym, and I cried for all the time I'd wasted, and I cried for what he'd done to my self esteem, and vowed to never let anyone treat me as he had, and I promised myself I'd get back to good, and I'd be happy. I moved back in with my mom.

Meantime I had made a friend at work. Someone going through what I was going through. We did a lot of talking, I did some more crying. We did a lot of drinking. I moved in. (I know, I know!) So for a year we drank, and we partied, and we had fun, and then we got pregnant. So we stopped all of our drinking and partying. We got married. We had Arielle. And here we are.

I'm so lucky that after all of the heartache my poor decisions have caused me, this time it turned out okay. We are happy. I am happy. And he's great. His name is Andy.

Having Arielle has been amazing. I didn't know what I'd do with a baby. But now I can't imagine life without her. She a very cool kid. I mean, she's just a baby, but she's my little pal. 

I really do love your pictures. After we're done getting reacquainted you must tell me more about photography. I'm way amateur, but I've taken some cool shots. I really enjoy it. I'm a fiercely loyal Canon user. But it's just a digital point and shoot (SD850). I'm also coveting a Nikon D40. You'll have to tell me what you think.

As for my schooling, I haven't quite finished up. I still have another year. When Arielle can start preschool I can probably go back. So that's like a year away. Anyhow, it was Fine Art. I like to paint. My creativity outweighs my ability. My heroes are Matisse and a local artist named Kim McDonald (www.kimmcdonald.com).

This is so long. Sorry. But I think I've brought you up to date on me. Your turn. 

12/11/07

No comments:

Post a Comment