Friday, August 6, 2010

Uncle Andrew, May You Rest In Peace

We pulled into the funeral home parking lot. Evangeline began to cry softly. "Papa is very sad", she said. "Today is a sad day", I told her. We got out of the car, and she kissed my dad hello. My dad stayed behind to finish his cigarette, while Evan and I approached the front entrance. "Everyone will cry today", she told me. We sat at the back of the room, I didn't want Evan to see the body. She asked me why we were there. I told her we came to pray. My dad came in quietly. He didn't look at us. He walked to the casket. The rest of the family hadn't arrived. My dad stood alone with his uncle's coffin. He turned to us, his eyes red, his face wet with tears. He wiped his face. He walked to the first row of chairs, and sat down. "Is this Papa's test", Evan asked me in a whisper. "Test?", I asked her. She repeated her question, "Is this Papa's test"? I shrugged. I had no idea what she meant, no idea what she was asking me. She looked across the room at my dad. "Today is Papa's bad dream", she told me. Family and friends arrived and began to file in. The room filled quickly. "It's so cold in here Mommy", Evan told me. It had to be over 85 degrees outside, and with the doors left open the funeral parlor was warm. I wrapped my arm tightly around her shoulders. "I'll keep you warm", I promised. The service was nice. People stood to say kind words about the deceased. My dad cried off and on throughout. Evan patted his shoulder lovingly in an effort to comfort him. At times she rested her hand on his arm. "Mommy, we are going to need lots of Hello Kitty after this", she said seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment